The sheer feeling of the cold. When you go swimming in natural waters, that’s the first thing that hits you.
Written by Nat Louis
After two years of being stuck at home, you may have stumbled across hygge, or even found yourself being more hygge without knowing. From your interior design, to food choices and lifestyle moments this Danish theory can influence all aspects of your life.
The atmosphere created by combining natural beauty with modern luxury at Scarlet. This might look like a moment of blissful calm in the meadow breathing in fresh sea air, or maybe two old friends reminiscing of fond memories.
For those new to this, we recommend turning to an explanation by Meik Wiking, CEO of the Happiness Research Institute in Copenhagen. In her book The Little Book of Hygge, she writes:
‘Hygge is about an atmosphere and an experience, rather than about things. It is about being with the people we love. A feeling of home. A feeling that we are safe, that we are shielded from the world and allow ourselves to let our guard down. You may be having an endless conversation about the small or big things in life – or just be comfortable in each other’s silent company – or simply just be by yourself enjoying a cup of tea.’
As we consciously introduce hygge into our lives, it can be broken down into ten easily identifiable sections:
1. Atmosphere – turn down those lights, put on that song you’ve not heard for years and soak it all in.
2. Presence – being present in the moment, in the here and now is a concept Scarlet is founded on. Turn off your devices and submerge yourself in the moment, it might never come again.
3. Pleasure – allow yourself to indulge in the things that bring you joy. Cut a larger slice of that chocolate cake or take the long way home for the views.
4. Equality – true hygge comes from putting ‘we’ in front of ‘me’. That warm embrace can come from giving someone in need the moment they need.
5. Gratitude – take it all in. Appreciate the small joys, from every wave that laps your ankles to every spoonful of desert.
6. Harmony – internal harmony will emanate from you like a warm glow. Being completely comfortable in who you are with no need to justify yourself to others.
7. Comfort – from the clothes you wear to the way you rest. Be comfortable.
8. Truce – politics and business can wait. The drama of the outside world can be left for another day.
9. Togetherness – focus on building relationships with your immediate company, forming new bonds and spending time with old friends.
10. Shelter – this is your home, a place of peace. Allow yourself to feel safe and secure.
Everyone can be a little more hygge. Take a moment during your stay at Scarlet to check in and feel that warming embrace. Life is full of these moments, all you need to do is connect the dots.