These potatoes are an alternative to dauphinoise, and work particularly well with lamb. The anchovies are not overpowering and are used as a seasoning. This is one of my favourite things to cook and to eat.
- To make the potatoes, boil the potatoes in their skin until just cooked, but not falling apart. Allow to cool a little and peel while still warm.
- Slice the potatoes in to thick slices.
- Butter an oven proof dish big enough to hold two layers of potatoes.
- Put the first layer in, then add the chopped garlic and the anchovies. Add a little salt and pepper.
- Place the second layer of potatoes on top and pour over the double cream.
- Put in the oven at 180°C for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are bubbling and golden brown.
- While the potatoes are cooking season the lamb and sear in a hot frying pan for a few minutes on each side until golden.
- Place in the oven at 180°C for 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare/pink. Take out of the oven and rest the lamb for 10 minutes. This is vital!
- Serve the lamb with a spoon full of potatoes and you favourite green vegetables.
You will need:
- Four spring lamb rumps
- 8-10 medium Maris Piper potatoes, washed
- 6-8 fillets of anchovies (tinned)
- 150g unsalted butter
- Two cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 500ml double cream
- Salt and pepper