This is a very simple dish, and one we have on the menu regularly. It has such a wonderful balance – the fresh, light ricotta bringing every thing together.
- Pre heat a griddle pan until very hot and smoking. If you don’t have one, a heavy based frying pan is a good alternative.
- Drizzle the broccoli spears with virgin olive oil to coat, and place in the pan. You may need to do this in batches, if you overcrowd the pan the spears won’t caramelise and char.
- Leave for one – two minutes until nicely coloured, and then turn over carefully and repeat on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and season.
- Mix the parsley, garlic and lemon together to make the gremolata.
- Divide the broccoli between four plates, and spoon generous amounts of ricotta over each one.
- Sprinkle the gremolata over, and finish with a little olive oil and a few dressed leaves. The heat from the brocolli will create a wonderful aroma from the gremolata.
You will need:
- 300g purple sprouting broccoli (five or six pieces per person)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 200g ricotta (we use Westcombe ricotta in the restaurant)
- 30g curly parsley finely chopped
- One clove garlic finely minced
- Fine zest of one lemon
- Salad leaves to finish