The best thing to sleep on is a clear conscience, goes the adage. Here at the Scarlet, we’ve got just the thing to help our guests achieve the ultimate guilt-free slumber: luxurious bedding that’s beautiful, ethical and sustainable, too.
We dress the hotel’s 37 beds with sumptuous organic cotton sheets and quilt covers from textile company Luma because we love the quality, the comfort and the socially responsible manufacturing processes:
- Luma textiles are made from environmentally-friendly linens, silks, and pure wools including pashmina, merino and angora.
- The sheets are naturally-organic cottons, or gently oxygen-bleached. Where dyes are used, they are vegetable or low-impact.
The materials and manufacturing processes aren’t just kind to you, our guests, though. They are kind to the people that make them, too.
The textile industry is a very human one. It touches billions of people across the world in lots of ways. Luma chooses suppliers that treat their workforce well, as well as producing wonderful products. Its supplier in India is a fair trade partner with Oxfam and Greenpeace, while its Peruvian partner has led fair trade projects for more than 20 years.
Many Luma products sustain remote communities using their traditional skills, and support poverty relief efforts. Luma cotton is grown by rural communities in developing countries not Texas cotton barons.
Every step in Luma’s production chain is independently inspected to ensure that the people behind their bedding are well looked after, and that they are supporting positive trading relationships.
Choosing organic and ethically-produced cotton frees farmers and their families from exposure to highly toxic pesticides, and helps to provide funding, healthcare, education and good working conditions.
Mattresses that are eco
We’re also trialling ethically-produced and eco-friendly mattresses from the NaturalMat Company.
Their handmade mattresses:
- are made from environmentally-conscious organic coir (coconut fibre), organic latex, organic lamb’s wool from Soil Association certified farms in Devon, Dorset and Somerset, and organic cotton and mohair.
- are sprinkled with essential oils – lavender, lemon and eucalyptus – to make them anti-dust mite, anti-bed bug and anti-moth.
- use wool as a natural fire retardant, so all the tuftings are chemical-free.
NaturalMat was founded by keen sailors Mark Tremlett and Peter Tindall in 2000. The pair were frustrated into action by the poor quality of synthetic mattresses found on boats.
Mark and Peter decided to look for an alternative, and found natural fibres superior for mattresses, whether they be for yachts, motor boats, adults, babies or children.
Naturalmat are now starting to supply the hotel industry, and we are proud to set an example to fellow hoteliers by using sustainable resources that have minimal environmental impact. We like the better ventilation, increased insulation, support and comfort an organic mattress provides.