We’re pretty serious about our bread at Scarlet with almost everything made on site. That does mean we’ve perfected our loaves – especially our easy-as-pie recipe for white bread.
- Add the yeast into a bowl with the warm water and set aside to let the yeast activate. It should become frothy.
- Place the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl and add the water, start to mix together. (A kitchen aid with a dough hook is most useful here, if not, you’ll have to get your hands dirty!), you may have to add more water depending on the flour used.
- When a dough is formed tip out of the bowl and begin to knead very well until a smooth, soft dough is formed.
- Place in a bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave to prove in a warm place until doubled in size (half and hour to an hour)
- Knock the dough back by kneading again, make into desired shape or place in a bread tin and leave to prove again.
- Cook in hot oven 200 degrees until the crust is crisp and the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
You will need:
- 570g White Bread Flour
- 16g Sugar
- 16g Fresh Yeast
- 13g Salt
- 300ml of warm water then more to correct consistency