Our Sustainability Policy
At Red Hotels Ltd (The Scarlet and our sister hotel, Bedruthan) we have taken responsibility for reducing the negative impacts our actions and activities have on the environment and our local community. Our ‘Cherish the World’ ethos, which is embraced by our whole team, is not simply something that we feel is right, it has become our way of life.
Our aim is to create memorable holidays, experiences and escapes which don’t cost the Earth; we have dared to be different in our approach:
- We source responsibly, scratching beneath the surface and considering the life cycle of the products and services we purchase.
- We aim to reduce the amount of waste we send to landfill year-on-year.
- We have a target to reduce our carbon footprint year-on-year.
- We publish our energy and waste data, transparently sharing successes and failures.
- We create rather than consume.
- We aim to inspire all who come into contact with us to make positive changes in their own lives or businesses.
- We are ground-breaking and innovative in our decision making, continuously playing with the ‘norms’ associated with 4* hospitality.
- We pause to reflect on our decisions to ensure that we can stand by them
- We are not perfect, nor do we believe that there is such a thing as ‘perfect’
- We acknowledge our guilty pleasures and mistakes, and celebrate the learning they bring.
- We are true to our values, resilient to challenge and committed to what we do.
Although we know that at times it can be difficult or frustrating, we will always strive to improve, ensuring that we deliver a high quality, sustainably conscious businesses.
For more information on our sustainable initiatives, take a look at the 101 different ways in which the Scarlet is sustainable.
As part of our efforts to promote sustainable tourism we have set up a Community Fund to fund new or existing projects in our parish that contribute to improving the local natural environment and providing social benefit to people living in the area. The fund is made up of donations given by our guests through our Guest Gifting Scheme.
The Guest Gifting Scheme enables our guests to give back to charities to support different environmental projects on the North Coast. These charities include:
- Surfers Against Sewage – supporting the cleanliness of our seas and beaches
- The National Trust – specifically supporting projects at Carnewas just around the corner from us
- The Community Fund – our charitable initiative which helps realise environmental and social projects in the local area
- CoaST: One Planet Tourism Network – focused on researching, promoting, and enabling sustainable tourism in Cornwall
As a hotel, we are committed to engaging with an promoting responsible tourism practices, which is why we encourage our guests to donate to responsible causes.
We are proud to have been awarded both a gold grading from Green Tourism along with a nomination for a highly commended Gold Star award.