The Scarlet is committed to a philosophy of sustainability, generosity and inclusion that extends to all visitors to the hotel. We take time to understand each individual guest’s needs and expectations, matching you to the right room, anticipating what will make a difference to your stay and discussing your requirements before arrival.
We have disabled parking bays and a level entrance through automatic doors to the main reception hall. There is level access to one floor of bedrooms down a corridor to the left of the main entrance. A lift provides access to the restaurant, spa, retreat lounge and another floor of bedrooms. However, the bar level, from which drinks are served is only accessible by the stairs.
Accessibility in detail
The Scarlet Site
The Scarlet is a 37 bedroom adult-only hotel with a restaurant, bar and spa facilities.
The hotel is located on a steep site perched on the edge of a cliff which provides stunning views across Mawgan Porth. The design of the hotel maximises the advantage of the location, with the rooms orientated to ensure each has both an outside space and a sea view. The rooms are generous in terms of space allocation, width of doorways and facilities, which helps with overall accessibility.
During the booking process we endeavour to understand individual guests’ needs in order to provide any assistance when needed. On check in all guests are accompanied to their rooms and introduced to the facilities, explaining how they are operated.
On-site parking is available for any guest who arrives by car. There are two parking spaces designated for disabled access close to the main entrance. These spaces are not fully compliant and have an adverse camber due to the topography of the site. Please let us know at the time of booking if you would like us to reserve one for you. Valet parking is available for all guests if required. If you require assistance with luggage, equipment or guidance our team of hosts are on duty 24hrs a day.
Main entrance and reception
Arriving through the automatic doors into the reception hall, a movement sensor will alert the reception team of an arrival. There is no reception desk. Instead guests are greeted by a member of the team, and asked to take a seat. A personal receptionist will be on hand at all times to guide through registration.
On check in staff will brief you on our evacuation policy. The registration card can be enlarged if required. All guests are escorted to their rooms on arrival, given a tour of the facilities and instructions on how to operate the phone, lighting, heating and doors.
The floor surface in reception is a combination of timber and slate. There is level access to one floor of bedrooms down a corridor to the left of the main entrance. The lift is accessed through the reception hall and provides access to the retreat lounge, the restaurant, the spa and another floor of bedrooms. It doesn’t, however provide access to the bar level where drinks and served.
Lift and corridors
The lift has a full height operating console, an adjustable buzzer indicates operation to persons with impaired vision, tactile (raised legend) pushes, lift Autodial System with induction loop (3-stage emergency voice communication). Digital lift car position and ‘direction of travel’ indicator. Voice annunciator and full height door detector. The lift provides access to the majority of the hotel with the exception of the hotel bar that is only accessible by stairs. Some rooms are not accessible by lift.
All corridors are at least 1200mm wide increasing to 1300mm in some areas. There are no internal steps or ramped areas in the corridors. All stairways in the hotel are timber and have a contrasting coloured and textured strip to mark the edge.
Toilets in public areas
There are two sets of public toilets, one adjacent to reception and one adjacent to the restaurant, both have a unisex accessible toilet with the following facilities:
- Emergency Alarm pull cord
- Flashing light when the fire alarm sounds
- 150×160 cm free space free of obstacles and doors
- 98 cm transfer space to the right of the toilet.
- The floor is slate
- There is a horizontal rail on the side opposite transfer from the toilet and a drop down rail on the other side.
- The taps are operated via a sensor
- There is colour contrast with critical surfaces, tiles are coloured and sanitary ware is white.
Restaurant, bar and lounges
Bar service is offered as table service to all areas of the Hotel and our team of hosts are on hand at all times to take orders and deliver drinks. Guests in wheelchairs can access the reception lounge, the retreat and the library to relax with a drink before or after dinner.
The reception lounge has a level wooden floor, the retreat lounge has a textured knotted carpet and the library has a tufted textured carpet.
The bar level, from which drinks are served is only accessible by the stairs. Large format drinks menus are available and our team of hosts are on hand to make personal recommendations.
All areas benefit from an abundance of natural light with (large windows taking in the view over the beach) the exception is the library with has less natural light. At night some lounges have low level lighting whilst others are brighter.
The restaurant is accessible via the lift and is located in the middle of the hotel. Menus are available in large print on request and staff will automatically take you through the menu and choices for your meal.
Lighting is mainly natural during the day as one whole wall of the restaurant is glazed with views over the beach. At night the lighting is low level with candles, however some tables have more light and can be reserved on request.
We are able to cater for varying dietary needs, please advise on booking. We can also vary any dishes on the menu to suit as all food is cooked to order.
There is an indoor swimming pool and steam room available to guests staying at the hotel from 7am to 9pm. The facilities have a unisex changing cubicle with shower and toilet that can accommodate a guest in a wheelchair and their carer. The pool is accessed by a wide set of graduated steps, with a handrail and allow for assistance to be offered. The pool has a constant depth of 1.5m. The steam room door is 78cm wide.
Careful consideration has been given to the design of the bedrooms. All the bedrooms follow an open plan concept where there are fewer dividing walls and traditional screening enclosures which can restrict mobility.
All bedrooms have a 1000mm entrance doorset, this offers greater access to a wider range of rooms other than dedicated accessible rooms. 300mm clear space has been allowed alongside the leading edge of the doors.
Two dedicated disabled bedrooms are provided. Bedroom 7 has a double bed and bedroom 22 a twin. Both rooms have oversized level entry showers with a drop down seat in the shower. The toilets have rails on both sides one is drop down. A toilet seat raiser can be organised with advance notice. There is a low level hand basin in each toilet area.
In addition a further 15 bedrooms are accessible by lift and have the wider entrance doors which allows for further flexibility of provision.
- Flooring in the bedroom area is timber
- Flooring in the bathroom area is marble and can get slippery, non slip mats are available on request.
- Lighting levels are controllable and reading lights are provided.
- Two bedrooms, number 22 and 23, offer the opportunity for a carer to stay in the adjacent bedroom. To allow additional privacy for both parties there is a shared lobby to both rooms rather than interconnecting doors.
- Given the highly serviced nature of the hotel and the ability for guests to pre book detailing specific special needs or requirements, this allows for additional facilities to be tailored to individual requirements to be incorporated into the room for the duration of the stay.
- A wireless personal emergency call system will be made available to guests who require it rather than a fixed pull system to allow for greater alarm coverage. This will be relayed to the office.
- A card/proximity style entrance lock is provided to all bedrooms which assist in accessibility to all rooms.
- The handles on the furniture in bedrooms are easy to grip and manipulate and contrast visually with the background.
- Room service is 24 hours.
- Bedding is feather; non feather is available on request.
- All rooms are non smoking.
- The furniture is flexible in the rooms and items can be moved or removed if requested.